Info History Operational History Technical Data

ORP Wilk was launched on 12.IV.1929, in Chantiers et Ateliers Augustin Normand in La Havre, after three years of constructions ship was finally completed and transferred to Polish Navy.
Wilk in Gdynia before the war
The first commander of the ship was appointed lt. cmdr. Aleksander Mohuczy. On 23.XI.1931 Wilk sailed into Gdynia escorted by submarine Rys and gunship General Haller. On 1.V.1932 ship received identification mark "W" (from first letter of her name Wilk). In August Wilk with other boats from the Submarine Division sail into Stockholm with courteous visit. In April 1933 Wilk was staying for repairs. Next year in December 1934 ship was under command of lt. cmdr. Brunon Jablonski. In May 1935 Wilk was slightly modified and renovated. In June 1936 Wilk with Rys and Zbik sailed into Tallinn. On 1.VII.1937 the identification mark was removed. In July 1938 new commander was appointed - lt. cmdr. Wladyslaw Salamon. In July 1938 command of the ship was given to lt. cmdr. Boguslaw Krawczyk.

On 24.VIII.1939 the mobilization was declared, ship took 6 torpedoes (plus 4 extra), 22 mines and 114 shells for 100 mm gun. On 1.IX.1939 when the war broke out, according to "Operation Worek" Wilk was patrolling area in Danzig Bay. On 2.IX.1939 Wilk spotted German destroyer and during preparation for the attack Polish submarine was bombed by German bombers. Wilk was forced to dive very deep (about 60 m) and to withdraw. During placing the mine pole ship was attacked by enemy vessels, but despite that fact all 20 mines were placed. It is highly probable that on 7.XII.1939, German fishing vessel MFK Pil 55 (13 GRT) sunk on one of the Wilk's floating mines in position 54°37'5N/19°47E. During 5.IX.1939 Wilk was attacked all day by enemy planes and many minor vessels, which caused several leakings. On 9.IX.1939 Wilk was displacement North to the coasts of Sweden. On 11.IX.1939 Polish submarine sighted German heavy cruiser Admiral Hipper during drills. During attack Wilk was spotted and driven off by German escort. On 14.IX.1939 Wilk sail through the Danish Straits and on 20.IX.1939 Wilk arrived at Rosyth.
Wilk after the war with Dzik and Sokol
During October and November 1939 Wilk was staying for repairs in Dundee. On 23.XI.1939 Wilk was based in Dundee in 2 Submarine Flotilla and received tactical number N.64. From December 1939 to January 1940 Wilk made two patrols to the coasts of Norway. In March 1940 lt. cmdr. Krawczyk was decorated with Virtuti Militari. On 20.VI.1940 Wilk was probably rammed by Dutch submarine O 13 in position 56°50 N / 03°37 E. During this accident Wilk was seriously damaged and British Admiralty send group of the ship to tow damaged Polish submarine. After 4 days Poles arrived at Dundee. On the next patrol Wilk was bombed by enemy plane. Next day Wilk attacked enemy tanker by without any result. Until October Wilk made three patrols during which Wilk on 19.X.1940 attacked ex Norwegian steamer Betty [2 439 GRT] near Lista (Norway), but again without any result. In November Wilk made her eight patrol and in January 1941 ninth. On 19.VII.1941 cmdr. Krawczyk committed suicide and cmdr. Brunon Jablonski was appointed the new commander. In that time on 2.IV.1942 Wilk was moved to reserve. On 28.IX.1946 Polish ensign was lowered and the ship was handed over to British. In October 1952 towed to Poland and in June 1951 stricken.